Our foundation course is for people who have had little or no experience of dog training instructing.
Please note: we are not taking bookings on our education courses at this time.
If you would like to be placed on our waiting list and notified if any spaces come up please complete a quick form here.
If you choose to enrol on the foundation course, your first residential weekend will be on:
Thursday (mid-day) 27th August until Sunday 30th August 2020.
Your second residential weekend will be: Thursday (mid-day) 29th October until Sunday 1st November 2020.
What does the foundation course include?
Learning Theory – Understanding how a dog learns
Class planning – venue, exercises, equipment
Presentation – delivering your message in a professional way
Communication – how to make sure that what you say is understood by your clients
Challenging dogs and owners and how to deal with some common problems in class
Equipment – what is available, what should you recommend (or avoid) and why
How to teach various exercises – basic exercises explained, and how to progress them
Diet – basic understanding of what dogs need, and how to understand commercial food labels
Teaching the disabled owner – how to adapt exercises to the physical needs of your clients
Body language – how to understand what the dogs are telling us
Clicker training – the why’s and wherefore’s
The dog’s health and how it may impact on your clients and your class
Punishment – you need to be aware of how this works, even though we do not use punitive or aversive methods
Fun and games for class
Cost (for both weekends): £1395 per student, including accommodation and meals. Discount (£250) on the Foundation and Advanced courses for Association Pet Dog Trainers’ Member or their Assistant.
Venue: Moulton College, Northampton
Please make sure you use the right payment button below for either the first or second course to avoid any admin confusion.
Terms & Conditions
You are required to pay a £250 deposit to reserve your place on your selected course. You will then be sent a registration form to complete. The remaining balance is due one month before the start date of your course.
By applying for one of our courses you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions here:
* I understand that I must pay the complete fee (£1395) by 27th July 2020.
* I understand that no fees will be refundable after the deadline dates outlined above.
* I agree to abide by the Association Pet Dog Trainers Code of Practice: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y23cyUS-hTAyryn0RMkCDDuQ97OTDyz_dCLod-rM8nU/edit?usp=sharing) whilst on the course.
* I have read the FAQ’s regarding the course: https://www.apdt.co.uk/resources/apdt-uk-education/instructor-courses-faqs)
* If I choose to bring a dog with me to the course, I confirm that he/she is not aggressive towards people or dogs and is happy to spend time in the car while I am in classes. I also understand that I will be responsible for my dog whilst we are attending the course and that he/she is not allowed off lead on the college campus.
Our Foundation Course is for people who have little or no experience of dog training instructing.
PART TWO COURSE
Our Part Two course is for people who have successfully completed the Foundation course.
Our advanced course is for instructors with at least one year’s experience of teaching classes.
FAQ's and Information to help you make an informed decision about which course is right for you.